You’ve probably heard about the miracles of the medical microneedling treatment, that it provides youthful and rejuvenated skin. But do hundreds of tiny needles prick actually worth?
We want to answer all your questions on what you should know about this popular treatment.
First of all, what is Medical Microneedling?
This, also known a Dermapen and Rejuvapen, is actually minimally-invasive working as a collage induction therapy to promote rejuvenation and a host of skin-boosting benefits.
The pen uses 11 super-tiny needles in the tip which can be adjusted by the professional according to the patient´s needs, to create small punctures on the top layer of the skin which would cause the body to create new collagen and elastin
Now, what are the benefits of the procedure?
- The treatment can help reduce pore size and heal acne scars.
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- It is also effective in reducing the appearance of sun damage, particularly hyperpigmentation and age spots.
• You may be interested in: TREATING PIGMENTATION WITH CHEMICAL PEELING
- As you get older, your skin loses its elasticity, the buildup of collagen that occurs in response to the tiny wounds can improve skin structure to fight sagging.
- The treatment works just about anywhere on your body, it can help reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
- Microneedling stimulates the growth of collagen, so your skin looks less redness and irritated.
- It helps improving the effectiveness of topical acne treatments.
There are more benefits that you can get from medical microneedling, especially when you get the treatment from a Skincare Experts who is the most certified person to determine the best course of your treatment.
So, how Medical Microneedling works?
- Step #1: The aesthetician will clean your face thoroughly.
- Step #2 then a topical numbing cream will be applied, it takes approximately 10 to 20 minutes to numb the area.
- Step #3 Next step, a serum that promotes skin repair and healing will also be applied.
- Step #4 The microneedling pen is passed back and forth all over the face, making the needles to get in the serum in the skin.
- Step #5 At the end, the serum will be re-applied and a hydrating mask to seal all in.
• You can check: MICRONEEDLING
However, does it hurt?
The numbing cream helps reducing the pain, however, it´s true that the patient can feel minimal pain during the procedure. Then, after the session you will surely feel a bit of pinkness, kind of like a sunburn that will last for a few days.
And, who is the best candidate for Microneedling?
The best candidates to get this treatment are the patients with various skin concerns. Although it’s important to do a skin analysis to provide all patients customized services, but medical microneedling is usually effective for certain conditions as mentioned before.
The age of the patient should be also taken into account, this is most common in patients 40 and above, patients over 40 years old often choose to opt for skin rejuvenation treatments because the results are long-lasting.
Also, how often should you get a session of Medical Microneedling?
The period of time between sessions depends on the needs and issues of the patient´s skin. The regular plan is one session per month for four to six months. Then, you should get a session once a year for touch-ups, especially if you feel like your skin needs a reboot.
And, what are the Post-care recommendations?
Microonedling leaves the skin sensitive and itchy, checkout the following aftercare recommendations:
- Apply sunscreen anytime you go outside in the following 2 weeks after your treatment. And don´t spend prolonged time out in the sun after the procedure.
- Cleanse the treated area with a gentle cleanser and pat dry for the first week and until completely healed, do not rub.
- Do not pick at the treated area, it is imperative to let the area heal on its own.
- Hyaluronic acid can be used to help stimulate collagen production after your procedure.
- It´s normal to feel the skin dry, keep using regular moisturizing with natural ingredients to lock in moisture and hydrate your face after microneedling.
- The redness that you experience from microneedling will mostly fade within 48 hours to 72 hours. Other symptoms, such as peeling and breakouts, might take slightly longer to resolve.
- Most of the visible recovery from microneedling happens in the first week after treatment, but healing will still be happening under the surface of your skin for up to 2 months afterward.
- To achieve the best results, complete the full treatment schedule at the intervals recommended by your esthetician.
• Checkout: WHAT HYALURONIC ACID CAN DO FOR THE SKIN?
What are regular side effects?
There are a few temporary side effects that you should know about
- The procedure causes short-term swelling, redness, and skin flaking, which can last for a few days.
- You may also experience bleeding, bruising or peeling
- If you don´t follow post-care instructions you can also get an infection
- Microneedling may worsen active breakouts, so people with active inflammatory acne or oral herpes should not be treated with microneedling until the lesions have cleared.
How to choose the best Medical Microneedling practitioner?
Just like with any other procedure, you should do a research to find a licensed practitioner, make a list of all the clinics that offer medical microneedling in your area. Check if each of these clinics have their own website and if they do, spend time reading up, because you should be able to gain almost all the important information from here.
Make sure that the Medical Spa provides a mask or serum and anesthesia. Also, make sure that they use sterilized equipment and all the staff are board-certified Skin Experts with experience in the field.