Suffering from red, rough, raw, and itchy skin during winter months is really normal; this is because cold winter air means low humidity, both outdoors and indoors, which causes the skin to stop producing the natural oils that it needs to keep the protective moisture barrier.
However, dealing with dry skin is not as complicated as you think; you just need to pay attention to the following recommendations:
1. Use a thick moisturizer in winter that helps replenish and protect the top layer of the skin.
2. Avoid spending 10 to 15 minutes in the shower. If you bathe more than that, you may strip away much of the skin’s oily layer and cause it to lose moisture.
3. Use lukewarm rather than hot water because it can wash away the natural oil from your skin.
4. Minimize the use of exfoliants and soaps and stay away from bath sponges, scrub brushes, and washcloths which can strip away the natural oil from your skin.
5. Seal moisture while the skin is still damp by applying a moisturizer immediately after bathing or washing your hands.
6. Don’t forget the special eye cream, it´s important to maintain that sensitive area very protected.
7. A moisturizer can control the itch; you can also use a cold pack or compress to relieve itchy spots.
8. Drink enough water, this is the most important way to avoid dryness
9. Shaving can irritate dry skin, we recommend you to get a laser treatment to remove unwanted hair.
10. You might also consider a cleanser that contains ceramides which are fatty molecules that make up the outer barrier of your skin and help skin hold in moisture.
Dry skin is usually not a serious health problem, but it can produce serious complications, such as red patches, acne, bleeding, itching, inflammation, redness, swelling, pus and more (including fine lines and wrinkles more noticeable or having a tired look)… however, simple changes, as the one mentioned above, are necessary to soothe dry skin.
Remember that every season not only comes with changes in clothes and activities, but also changes in your skincare routine, this will help your skin stay protected throughout all different seasons.